David Reed WR SF 7 Months

49ers signed WR David Reed, WR DeMarco Sampson and DT Christian Tupou to reserve/future contracts.

Reed spent 2010-12 on the fringe of the Ravens' roster, catching five passes in 29 games. This season, he appeared in seven games for the Colts, making one catch. Sampson had a 2011 cup of coffee with the Cardinals, while injures along the Bears' defensive line forced Tupou into five games this season.

David Reed WR SF 8 Months

Colts waived KR/WR David Reed and TE Justice Cunningham.

LB Josh McNary was promoted from the practice squad in a corresponding roster. Reed had a shot at a bigger role on offense after Reggie Wayne (ACL) was lost for the season, but caught just one pass in four games. Reed was also struggling mightily on returns, continually bringing the ball out of the end zone at inopportune times. It's possible Da'Rick Rogers will finally get a chance in Indy.

David Reed WR SF 11 Months

Colts KR/WR David Reed exited Thursday night's preseason finale with a concussion.

Reed was acquired from the Ravens in exchange for RB Delone Carter eight days ago. The Colts are planning to use Reed as their kick returner. He shouldn't have an offensive role as the fifth or sixth receiver in a West Coast offense.

David Reed WR SF 11 Months

The Colts intend to use newly acquired David Reed as a kick returner.

Reed led the NFL in kickoff return average in 2010 at 29.3 yards. For his career, he's at 29.5 yards per return. The Ravens didn't have any need for Reed with Jacoby Jones serving as their return man.

David Reed WR SF 11 Months

Colts acquired WR/KR David Reed from the Ravens in exchange for RB Delone Carter.

A 2010 fifth-round pick, Reed has just five career catches, but has averaged a solid 29.5 yards on 39 kick returns. Those return numbers were compiled before his 2011 ACL tear, however. Reed will likely be limited to special teams if he cracks Indy's roster.

David Reed WR SF Mar 12 '131 Comment

Ravens re-signed WR/KR David Reed to a two-year, $2.5 million contract.

Reed was a restricted free agent that had not yet received a tender from the Ravens. Coming off a 2011 ACL tear, he appeared in just five games last season and caught five passes for 66 yards. Reed's biggest impact will come as a kickoff returner, where he has an impressive career average of 29.5 yards per return.

David Reed WR SF Nov 26 '12

Ravens activated WR/KR David Reed (ACL surgery) from the reserve/PUP list.

S Anthony Levine (shoulder) was placed on injured reserve in a corresponding roster move. Reed has been eligible to return since Week 7, but hasn't been needed with Jacoby Jones excelling on returns. If Reed's active on game days, it will be as a special teamer.

David Reed WR SF Aug 27 '12

Ravens placed WR/KR David Reed (ACL surgery) on reserve/PUP.

Reed tore his ACL in Week 16 last season and was never cleared to participate in camp. He's now out until at least Week 7. The Ravens will move forward with Jacoby Jones as their primary return man.

David Reed WR SF Aug 07 '12

Ravens WR/KR David Reed (ACL surgery) is unlikely to be ready for Week 1.

Reed had previously said he expected to be ready for camp, but it's looking like he'll miss the entire preseason. If that's the case, he'll likely either be stashed on injured reserve or released with an injury settlement.

David Reed WR SF Jul 10 '12

Ravens WR/KR David Reed (ACL surgery) expects to be ready for training camp.

Reed estimated last week that he was 90 percent, and expects to make up the remaining 10 percent between now and when the Ravens report to camp on July 24. He'll need to be 100 percent to have any real chance of keeping his roster spot.