Fronzizzle Tue 12/26/17 7:38 AM

Hello all,

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I'm the commissioner of a 12-team dynasty league. For our first couple of years, the roster setup was 19 players and 2 IR spots - the IR spots were only for players that were on IR or PUP. No issues at all.

This past year, I wanted to institute a type of "practice squad", and after talking to some of the support people at Flea Flicker, the only way to do that was to use IR. So, what I ended up doing was making IR 5 spots - 2 for real IR/PUP, 3 for rookies. The rule was that before week 1, you could place any 3 rookies on IR and keep them there all season, or you could activate them during the year to the regular roster but if you did that, you lost the practice squad place. It sounds a bit confusing (and it was!), but more importantly it was a disaster.

First of all, it required that I constantly monitor who was and wasn't on IR. To get this to work, you have to set the IR eligibility to "all", so full teams could sign a free agent and it would just put him on IR, then the owner would have to swap them to the regular roster. A couple of our other owners didn't grasp the concept and constantly swapped people to IR on purpose to create roster spaces and I'd have to go in and cut people, move people around, etc. It was a nightmare.

So, for this coming season I planned on getting rid of the practice squad and going back to the way it was, but I have a group of really dedicated owners that want to keep it. One thought occurred to me: what happens if during the preasons, I make the IR requirements "all", let teams put their rookies on the IR and what not and then when Week 1 starts, change the requirements to "IR/PUP." Does anyone know what would happen to the players on IR that were healthy? Would they stay there, or would the league require that they get activated before making this change? I'm hoping I can find this out before next season and not discover that this works or doesn't work before it's too late. Thank you.

FleaflickerT Admin Wed 12/27/17 2:20 PM

Hello,

Sorry that this didn't work out so well for you this past season. The good news is that we do plan to add a taxi squad feature set that is separate from the IR in the future, hopefully in the next season or two.

To answer your question about when you switch from Healthy (All) to IR/PUP, if owners have healthy players sitting there, their rosters will go into an illegal status, which means they won't be able to make roster moves until the IR has been rectified. So waiver claims won't process, etc. So the system will allow you to make the change, but the owners must then move the uneligible players to the bench or starting lineup or risk claims not processing.

Once we have the new taxi squad section in place, this won't be an issue for you.

Please email back if you have any additional questions! Thanks!