FFCSR_Hal Admin Oct 20 '77
Baseball Positions for 2012 were updated for the 2012 MLB season a few days ago.
Below is the criteria we used to determine eligibility and what we will do moving forward:
1) Position players (non pitchers) earned eligibility for the 2012 season based on having to have made 10 starts or 14 appearances at the position (if they did not make 10 starts there) in 2011.
2) Eligibility(ies) will not be taken away until we reset this in 2013 for the 2012 season. All player eligibility now will only be added to. Any player who is not eligible at a position, but expected to play there and start there in 2012 will have to gain the eligibility this year in 2012 by starting 7 games there THIS season (or 13 appearances without the starts). Players will not move over until this happens -- they must earn it, even if they are scheduled to start there, or are starting there, in spring training.
3) Pitchers are placed in our system by the statistics provider we use. We go over them to make sure all the SP are starting pitchers and RP are relief pitchers and the ones listed as "P" are usually in the middle like long-relief guys. Guys like Daniel Bard and Aroldis Chapman will have to earn their SP status; although guys like Neftali Feliz who are definitely in the rotation for the year have moved over (pitchers are a bit of a different breed than position players).
4) If the player did not qualify for a certain position last season (they didnt appear in 14 games at a position or did not make 10 starts there), eligibility was given to the position they started the most games at.
5) There are rare instances where we look at players on a case-by-case basis, e.g., it would have been unfair to not have given Posey his 1B status when he would have earned it, having not gotten hurt. Buster Posey was one.
6) Rookies, farm-system players, and in some cases 2nd-year players (like Jesus Montero) are given their position even if they qualified only for a DH -- Montero is given his catcher eligibility there. Other farm-system players will be added when our stats department receives their official information.
7) Any player with 45 or less fantasy points accrued for 2011 in the Flea default scoring system was not changed as the sample size was too small (only affected a handful).
If you guys have any questions on player position eligibility, or think players should be changed and we're incorrect, please contact our staff and team so our department that handles position changes can get back to you. Unfortunately I won't be able to respond individually to requests here because I am not solely in charge of these changes. Many outside consultants were used and we can't respond to them individually in a forum; however, if you want to e-mail us, we will definitely get back to you. Please contact us if you have any questions.